Sunday, September 22, 2013

Two Websites I Visit Frequently

yelp.com
The basic notion behind Yelp is that consumers will believe what other consumers say about products and services over what companies say, but as we all know, a great idea doesn't always spell success.

Yelp has done an excellent job of following up on their initial idea with a great business plan. First their branding is outstanding. The name Yelp is a combination of Yell and Help, so it makes sense as a place to yell when you are unhappy and to get help finding good businesses. Their logo is clear and recognizable and their "screaming flower" alone can already be identified by many as the Yelp icon. Yelp's website is also user friendly. It is effortless to get to yelp ratings on many different kinds of businesses. If the user wants more information they can easily drill down and read or write reviews, see menus and pictures, get directions, go to business websites, etc. I go back to yelp.com often because I can quickly get useful information every time.

craigslist.org
What a wonderful public service Craigslist. Even though this site is rather ugly, I still use it often and find it easy to navigate. I come here when I want to sell, buy or rent something, or even if I want to look for work. The list of things you can find on Craigslist seems endless. My one complaint is that they could do a better job on the aesthetic quality of their site. I like websites to not only work well, but also to look good.

1 comment: